EVERTON’S busy transfer window shows no signs of letting up
after they announced the signing of defender Cuco Martina from
Southampton on a free transfer on Monday.
The 27-year-old has signed a three-year-deal at Goodison Park
and again links up with manager Ronald Koeman, who coached him
at the south-coast club.
Netherlands-born Martina, who captains Curacao at international
level, becomes the Toffees’ seventh summer signing, joining
Wayne Rooney, Sandro Ramirez, Henry Onyekuru, Davy Klaassen,
Jordan Pickford and Michael Keane at the Premier League club.
Martina, who played 36 times for Southampton after arriving at
the club from FC Twente in 2015, cited Everton’s ambition as
the main reason for signing.
“Everton is a big club with big ambitions and I’m really
looking forward to joining this group of players and the
manager as we try to step forward next season,” Martina told
the club website.
“Obviously, I know the manager from my time at Southampton, so
I know what he wants and he knows what I can do.” Everton boss
Koeman said that Martina’s versatility was a big factor in
making a move for the former Feyenoord youth player.
“Cuco Martina is an experienced player who can perform in
different positions at the back, which is important,” Koeman
“I brought the player to Southampton, so I know what he can do
for us here and this is why I’ve now brought him to Everton. He
is a player who will strengthen our squad and be able to play
in different positions when that’s needed, too.” Martina has 30
international caps for the Caribbean former Dutch colony of
Curacao, who were knocked out of the CONCACAF Gold Cup on
WEST BROM BRING IN EGYPTIAN DEFENDER
West Bromwich Albion have completed the signing of Egypt
defender Ahmed Hegazi on a season-long loan deal from Al Ahly,
the Premier League side said.
The 26-year-old caught the eye of Baggies boss Tony Pulis
during the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this year, in which
the centre-back helped Egypt to a runners-up finish.
West Brom have the option to make the deal permanent at the end
of next season, and Pulis is delighted to have got his man.
“We’re pleased he’s here, he’s a good addition. He’s got good
pedigree and has played for some good clubs. Hopefully he’ll be
a good signing for us.”
Albion club chairman John Williams also added: “We’re delighted
to add Ahmed to the squad. He caught our eye at the African
championships and we’ve been tracking him ever since.”
Hegazi, who has 39 international caps, has been with Al Ahly in
his home country for the past two seasons after an unsuccessful
stint at Italian top flight club Fiorentina.
He has travelled to Hong Kong to link up with his new
team-mates, with the Baggies set to face Leicester City in the
first game of the Asia Trophy on Wednesday.
NEWCASTLE CLOSE IN ON NORWICH’S MURPHY
Newcastle United have moved a step closer to signing long-term
transfer target Jacob Murphy, after agreeing a fee for the
winger with Norwich City, according to British media reports on
The Magpies have endured a largely frustrating transfer window,
with French defender Florian Lejeune and Ghanaian forward
Christian Atsu the only arrivals.
But the north-east club now look set to add 22-year-old Murphy
to their ranks after agreeing a fee in the region of £12
million (17m euros, $19.6m,) with the Championship side.
Newcastle are believed to have had an £8 million bid rejected
last week for England under-21 international Murphy, who
blossomed in the second tier last season, scoring 10 goals in
40 appearances for Norwich in all competitions.
Murphy is set to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms
with Rafael Benitez’s side.